Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Why Boo?

So why did I choose "Boo?" It is a strange name and has a long and simple explanation.

My childhood nickname was Boofy. I even remember saying, "Don't call me MaryRuth. Call me Boofy!" But once I started school, I opted for my more mature sounding given name. My mantra then changed to "Don't call me Boofy. I'm MaryRuth!" Some siblings had a hard time stopping the Boofy habit, so they shortened it to Boo. In a sense Boo is a more grown-up version of that childhood nickname.

When new aquaintances complain about the length of my name, I suggest they call me Boo, but no one has taken up the offer. One reason I enjoy Halloween is that I see my nickname in all the stores. I still think of myself as Boo. Thus this blog is about me and life from my perspective: simple pleasures of life, the things I do, and the amusing things my children do.

No comments: