Friday, October 17, 2008

Quotes Archive

I think I want to keep a record of my "Quote of the Week" column. Since I don't know how to add pages, or anything fancy at all, I'll just add new quotes to this post.

3/3/2013 "I find that despite my best efforts, you exert undue influence on my behavior."
-Temperance Brennan, "Bones"

9/29/2012 "Sometimes I would lie on my bed and stare at the ceiling, because it was the only clean place in my house."
-Brenda, a grandmother who raised 7 children

5/1/2011 "Democracy is like a tambourine; not everyone can be trusted with it."
-John Oliver, comedian.


3/20/2011 "Remember that the concerns of a mother cannot be separated from the needs of her children and her husband."-Jeffrey R. Holland, "'Charity Never Faileth': A Discussion on Relief Society." The Ensign, Mar. 2011, p. 42.

3/4/2011 "It is not the design of heaven that we be rescued from all difficult situations. Rather, it is the Lord's will that we learn to handle them." -Joseph Fielding McConkie, "Finding Answers," The Ensign, Feb. 2011, p. 32.

2/20/2011 "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me three times, and I'll hire you as my lawyer." -Wink, the royal advisor, Alcatraz versus the Shattered Lens, p. 165

2/4/2011 "Good heavens, no! The Bishop and the professor in the same room? I'd be excommunicated." -Professor Henry Higgins' mother, My Fair Lady

1/25/2011 Lines Written on a Banknote
Woe worth thy power, thou cursed leaf!
Fell source o' a' my woe and grief!
For lack o' thee I've lost my lass!
For lack o' thee I scrimp my glass!
I see the children of affliction
Unaided, through thy curst restriction:
I've seen the oppressor's cruel smile
Amid his hapless victim's spoil;
And for they potence vainly wished,
To crush the villain in the dust:
For lack o' thee, I leave this much-lov'd shore,
Never, perhaps, to greet old Scotland more.
-Robert Burns

1/ 22/2011 "Nobody can do for little children what grandparents do. Grandparents sort of sprinkle stardust over the lives of little children." —Alex Haley

3/01/2010 "You have a love/hate relationship with the idea of changing your hair." -Dominic to me, when I was thinking of getting a haircut and maybe dyeing it. I haven't done anything, yet.

2/3/2010 "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Author unknown

1/12/2010 A mother really is the homemaker, because nothing happens in the home unless the mom makes it happen. -paraphrased from Eden Borrowman, Sunday school teacher

12/01/2009 "Oh, why do my actions have consequences!" -Homer Simpson

11/26/2008 "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his language, that goes to his heart." -Nelson Mandela

11/18/2009 "Two words: taste test." -Dominic to me. Sometimes I forget to taste test food before serving it. This time dinner was just a tad (ok, very) salty.

11/10/2009 "The world needs more palindromes." -Me

10/18/2009 "Mommy, I love you super looper much." -Benjamin

10/02/2009 "Nothing hurts a new truth more than an old error" -Geothe

10/01/2009 "Obi-One died. I'm Obi-Two Kenobi." -Samuel

8/26/2009 Dominic - "Can you please turn off the television?" Benjamin - "OK. But first I need to turn off the t.v."

8/10/2009 "I'm 4!" -Benjamin telling everyone about his birthday

7/8/2009 "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." -Thomas Jefferson, The Declaration of Independence, 1776

6/18/2009 "You are the embodiment of joie de vivre." -My Dad to Elisa

5/18/2009 "Oh geez, I'd hate to be her right now." -Overheard at the park

5/07/2009 Dominic: "Foldest thou thine arms." How the kids say it: "Foldest now nine arms."

4/26/2009 "I have hot dog power!" -Benjamin

4/12/2009 "This is the most exciting day ever! It's Easter and we get to go to church!"
-Samuel

4/06/2009 "There are 6 people in Idaho who don't hunt. Then we moved here. Now there's 7." -Samuel

3/30/2009 Benjamin: "You can't see me." Me: "Oh? Why not?" Benjamin: "Because my eyes are invisible."

3/27/2009 "Tums: the snack of pregnant women." -Me

3/17/2009 "Mommy, you're nice, but Daddy makes you silly."
-Benjamin, observing that I laugh more when Dominic is around.

3/04/2009 "Look at you! You're the kind of pregnant lady the rest of us hate."
-Next door neighbor to me, but I think she was just being nice.

2/15/2009 "Marriage vows should place unbreachable walls around a couple. Sometimes people selfishly and mistakenly see these as prison walls from which to escape. But committed couples can see them as walls around a beautiful garden. With so much peace and happiness being cultivated inside, why would anyone want to go outside?" -Abbott, J. (Mar 1995). Trust That Deepens Through the Years. The Ensign.

2/09/2009 "Lisy is so toot (cute)." -Benjamin
"You're cute, too." -Me
"But I'm not a baby." -Benjamin

2/03/2009 Online chat with a friend, who never heard of NPR or the show Car Talk: "what are you doing now?" -friend
"i'm listening to car talk" -Dominic
~pause~ "what is your car saying?" -friend

1/25/2009 In Darth Vader voice: "Luke, you are whiny!"
In whiny Luke voice: "That's not true, that's impossible!"
-Samuel was playing with his action figures

1/18/2009 "It's better to die laughing than to live each moment in fear." -Michael Crichton

1/09/2009 "Hi Dear, I'm on my way home now." -Me
"Oh good. I thought you had moved to Walmart." -Dominic

12/29/2008 "Youngest to o'dest!" -Benjamin, with the mistaken idea that he will be last to do something unpleasant, like brush his teeth.

12/21/2008 "Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand, and on this night shall the sign be given, and on the morrow come I into the world, to show unto the world that I will fulfill all that which I have caused to be spoken by the mouth of my holy prophets." -Jesus Christ, 3 Nephi 1:13

12/14/2008 "What you need is one more." - A stranger who saw me trying to catch the 3 kids running in 3 directions. He was trying to be funny but didn't realize there is one more on the way.

12/07/2008 A composite of several conversations: "Sammy is a baby name. Call me Samuel now. It's easy. You start with a Sam and end with a yule. Sam-uel." Benjamin: "Ammy-yule"

11/23/2008 "My Dad's name is Dominic, and my Mom's name is MaryRuth. But I'm not allowed to call them that. I have to call them Dad and Mom." - Sammy, to a stranger at a nearby table at breakfast.

11/16/2008 "Are we going home?" - Benjamin asks several times a day

11/09/2008 As a farewell to Utah, seen on a license plate frame this week:
Ski Patrol
* Risking ours *
* Saving yours *

11/04/2008 "You shouldn't worry (about making friends in a new area). You all have a bit of your dad in you." -Marrisse, sister-in-law

10/26/2008 "You really don't complain much." -Troy, brother-in-law
"That's because you can't hear what I'm thinking." -Me

10/17/2008 "Dad, you think you're a human being, but actually you are an aardvark." -Sammy pronounces aardvark like ahdvahk. Benjamin says ahbahk.

10/01/2008 "When I read that part in the script where it said, 'Luke, I am your father,' I thought, 'He's lying. I have to see how they carry this lie out.' " -James Earl Jones

No comments: