Sunday, October 26, 2008

Role reversals

With both sons and a daughter, I've noticed the line between stereotypical boy/girl toys are fuzzy. My latest shopping trip to Walmart is an excellent example. I let the children take turns choosing their toothpaste, and this was Lisy's turn. I showed her Batman and Bratz. She stared at them for a long time, but finally chose Batman. Sammy was upset! He wanted her to choose Bratz because it was pink and girls like pink. Ironically, when it was time to chose the fruit snacks, Sammy chose My Little Pony and won't share them.

At the church Halloween party last night, Captain America (Sammy) and Superman (Benjamin) wrestled quite a bit. It was funny watching 2 good guys duke it out, and they received many comments.

It's not a secret that my kids like Star Wars. A week ago Dominic noticed Benjamin humming the Imperial March (think: Darth Vader's theme song) while marching along the hallway. And just a couple of days ago, he found Lisy doing the same thing! Her march looked more like the goose step, but the tune was definitely decipherable as the Imperial March. And although I'm not certain it was intentional, she wore a blanket draped across her shoulders like a cape.

No comments: