Thursday, October 16, 2008

Surprise!

Today is my 31st birthday and the first anniversary of my blog. This has been a birthday filled with surprises. To start it off, last month I mentioned to Dominic that I would like an MP3 player, and he then proceeded to talk me out of it. What did he give me? An MP3 player! It even came with an armband so I can listen to music while running. Turns out he thought it was a great idea.

The next surprise was a trip. Not a major deal, mind you, but we headed out to look at some old ghost towns in the area. As it grew later I mentioned my concern about getting the kids to bed on time, so Dominic showed me the toothbrushes and changes of clothes in the trunk. I giggled in happy surprise for at least 10 minutes.

We ended up at Bear Lake at the only restaurant open in the winter, a very reasonably priced steak house. Then our server referred us to a nice hotel. Our rooms were about the same size as our first apartment and had a full kitchen, king-sized bed, and leather fold-out couch (the boys loved jumping on it). We saw the brochure with the advertised summer rates, and since we stayed mid-week off-season, we got a great deal. The next day we explored more ghost towns. Actually, the "ghost towns" mentioned in our book were more like dilapidated buildings in and around working ranches. But we got some really cool pictures.

Today itself was calm and quiet, with lots of phone calls from my family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, MaryRuth! By the time we remembered it was your birthday last night it was too late to call. It sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Aaron & Marrisse