Friday, February 20, 2009

We bought a van!

We've somehow survived with 3 car seats in the back of our Toyota Corolla, but 4 car seats just won't fit. So with our tax refund in hand, we scoured the ads, internet and used car lots for the last 2 weeks. Yesterday we came home with our new van, an '03 Chevrolet Venture, paid in-full. It's newer, nicer and less expensive than we were hoping for. My favorite feature is that it has 8 seats, so we won't grow out of it too soon. We even have enough of the refund left to fix our Corolla - needs new struts.

I have my own car! Freedom! I think I've been very patient and supportive with Dominic's crazy schedule and our one car. But today I felt happy every time I thought about my van.

I've been so focused on car hunting that I let the house fall into chaos. I came home last night and thought, how could anyone live in this dump? Today I had a miraculous burst of energy and cleaned all day. I didn't even need a nap for the first time in ages.

5 comments:

Missa said...

Yea MaryRuth!! I'm so excited for you. I love the freedom of two cars--makes that mid-day Walmart run so much easier. There's a long story here, but as I am typing with one hand, I won't go into it. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. i feel like i can handle anything if i know i have the option to get away if i need to. when i am without a car i just feel stuck even if i don't have anywhere to go.

Mrs Abbott said...

Congratulations!!!!!

Hilary said...

i totally know how you feel! i went several years without a car as dave commuted with our saturn. i felt like i was able to make do and it felt good to save the money, but it only made it feel that much more wonderful when i did get my wheels. i remember taking the boys to story time at the library and feeling positively giddy about being able to do that. just a warning - our wal-mart bill definitely went up after we got our van.

Sam Rushforth Taggart said...

Yay! Maybe now we can meet up and see each other!