Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Busy week

So busy it's taken me another half week to write about it! Actually, I was finishing a couple of really good books: the 2nd Fablehaven book by Brandon Mull, and Arctic Drift by Clive Cussler.

To begin, last Monday I had a doctor's appointment, which was significant for the blood test. Yes, it was the dreaded glucose screening, but I do not have gestational diabetes! Such a relief. However, due to a family history, I asked them to check my thyroid levels, which are low. So now I'm taking thyroid hormones. I looked it up on webMD, and I think I either had a subclinical level, or I just confused the symptoms with pregnancy: fatigue, weight gain, problems concentrating, etc.

Next, the kids went to the dentist. This was Lisy's first dental visit, and she liked it. In fact, she screamed whenever I took away her new toothbrush and mini toothpaste. At nap time she didn't want a doll or stuffed animal - she snuggled up with that toothbrush and toothpaste. As a side note, the dentist said all 3 kids have healthy teeth but will need orthodontics in a few years (sigh).

And Dominic turned 30! It's been 15 agonizing months, but we're finally in the same decade. Just kidding; I really don't care about that stuff. Dominic is a low-key person so we had a low-key party, but he raved about the turtle cake I made. It's so rich that we don't have it very often, and a birthday is the perfect time for such a decadent cake. You can find the recipe here. And this is the shirt he got from the kids; it cracks me up.
P.S. Dominic has adjusted to his new medication. He doesn't struggle to stay awake anymore; he was drinking 2-3 Mountain Dews a day. He is now off the Dews, and his sleep patterns resemble mine.


Then I got a haircut. I almost got a haircut last Spring but was racked with indecision about styling. My hair finally got too annoying. I realized it had been 6 years since my last cut, and I felt obligated to go once I made the appointment. I love my haircut! My family likes it, too, except Benjamin who said it's funny. It's a lot easier to take care of now than when it was long.

Before:

After (I look funny, but it's the best picture of my hair):














Finally, we went to a kid's fair at the Boise Expo Center. The kids had a blast, but it completely wore out Dominic and me. Sammy was enthralled with the magician. Benjamin couldn't get enough stickers. Lisy kept asking for "pop pop," aka lollipops. They really enjoyed the petting zoo area and the inflatable slide and bouncy rooms.

Boys petting a miniature horse
Lisy spent a lot of time on Dominic's shoulders














I think Sammy is trying to hide




See the stickers on his arms?

He had more on his face




Lisy happily jumping

7 comments:

Missa said...

You got your hair cut and didn't post a picture? What's up with that?

Anonymous said...

How short????????

Boo said...

Sorry for the lack of pictures earlier. You caught me between kids-pestering and kids-asleep.

Missa said...

Super cute hair! What a fun week!

Judy and Lloyd Abbott said...

I'll add my two-cent's worth and agree that your hair looks beautiful!

Ben said...

Cute Hair cut! My goodness Lisy is so big and cute! I might know that already if I weren't new to the whole blog thing, but she's adorable.

Jessica said...

Hey MaryRuth. I have been a bit busy lately...but I have been catching up on your blog. I love your hair cut and it's great to see your wonderful face!!