Monday, March 30, 2009

Planet Earth

Kids watching t.v. The couch was just too far away.

Two Christmases ago my parents gave us a copy of the Planet Earth series. I really like it for the cinematography, the education, and the funny side effects on my kids.

We have had very interesting dinner conversations about the significance of predator-prey relationships, as well as ecosystems. I didn't even know what an ecosystem was until I was much older.

The very first time we watched an episode, my boys weren't paying attention but were busy wrestling. Or so I thought. I noticed Sammy kept biting Benjamin's shirt and asked him what he was doing. Through gritted teeth and fabric came the muffled reply, "I'm a shark." Then Benjamin resignedly stated, "I a seal." The segment currently playing was sharks catching seals.

One day Samuel was slinking around the living room on hands and feet while narrating his own actions. In a British accent he said, "The lion was moving through the forest in search of prey and to find a mate." Dominic couldn't stop laughing.

And just recently, I asked Benjamin why he kept biting his own arm. He said, "I'm poisonous. [bite] I died. Ugh." Then he closed his eyes, stuck out his tongue, and tilted his head to the side. I wish I had the camera; that face was hysterical.