Thursday, March 26, 2009

Letter to the Editor

I have very strong political views, but I keep quiet to avoid conflict. There have also been times when something happens and I want to write to the editor, but the fire of my indignation fizzles before any writing occurs. This week, however, I actually wrote a letter that was actually published.

Background: Idaho state law says that breastfed infants can be removed from their car seats while the car is moving. Furthermore, if there are more children than seatbelts, they don't all have to be buckled up. A bill was introduced to stop both practices. It barely passed in the Senate, but the House committee won't even see it. According to the transportation chairwoman, it is too invasive on families. In my letter I also refer to another bill that passed both the House and Senate in a matter of weeks: a mussel species was accidentally brought to the U.S. and has spread across the country, so they're taking immediate action to deal with its unavoidable entry into Idaho. Apparently, it clogs things up and is very expensive to clean out.

Child safety seat law would save lives
A few months ago, my family moved here from out of state. So I was unaware and surprised to learn that Idaho law allows infants and children to roam free in a moving car.

Furthermore, a bill that will protect our most vulnerable citizens will die in the House. At least the state Senators understood its importance.

I'm at a loss for words to describe this situation. The state understands the importance of preventative measures when it comes to the invasive mussel species. What I cannot comprehend is how they fail to see that the "loose cannon" bill can save lives.

If this law is too intrusive, perhaps we should repeal drunk driving laws.

Side note - the letter before mine hailed the chairwoman for protecting families from overreaching government.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We agree with you. We know of too many kids that have died in car accidents when they weren't wearing seat belts.

Jen said...

Way to speak up! I like how you made you point articulately but concisely.