Sunday, May 4, 2008

Adventures in the Kitchen (not all protein is good)

It all started with this cold. The entire family has a nasty cold, and we are all cranky. This afternoon I tried to take a nap on the living room couch (well, futon). Random things (ok, the kids) kept waking me up, and I finally got up feeling unrested and still cranky. So I made cookies.

For dinner I tried to make macaroni and cheese. I like to add whole wheat macaroni to the boxed noodles for a healthy boost. Apparently it's been awhile since I used the whole wheat noodles. While checking the noodle doneness (is that a real word?), I saw a bug! I shrieked and dropped the test noodle. I almost ate the bug! EWW! My reaction worried Sammy, who was also test-eating a noodle. They were cooked, so they couldn't be that bad, right? I attempted to separate the contaminated noodles, but I was too grossed out. I finally threw out the whole pot of noodles.

Now it was dinner time and we had no dinner. I heated up a frozen pizza. It wasn't quite enough for us, so we filled up on the cookies. Half way through dinner I realized I was still very cranky, and I took an Excedrin. I was much nicer the rest of the evening.

P.S. Speaking of kitchen adventures, did I ever mention the melted ship? While making dinner one evening, Benjamin kept knocking over Elisa with his pirate ship. I took it away from him and placed it on the nearest surface so I could finish meal preparations. Something smelled funny, and I realized that the plastic ship was on the burner I'd just turned off (and thus still hot). On a positive note, we finally got out the potato chips Sammy had crammed in the cargo hold.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Ew--bugs in noodles! Good decision to throw it out. Frozen pizza actually sounds pretty good for tonight.