Thursday, November 8, 2007

Scared of the dark

There is a reason I stopped watching the crime dramas CSI and Without a Trace: their yuckiness outweighs their interesting science. Tonight was a special 2-hour event with a case beginning on CSI and concluding on Without a Trace. Dominic and I both thought it would be interesting, and the shows started after the kids were put to bed, so why not? Yes, the shows were interesting, and I watched them both to see the conclusion. However, I covered my eyes or looked away quite a bit, a habit I got from my dad, who routinely covers his face with a pillow during movies. Sometimes I just don't want to see that stuff (even if it is just make-up).

The shows' side-effect on me is an intense fear of the dark. I was in the middle of doing laundry, and there was one last load in the dryer. Normally I don't mind going outside and down the unlit back stairs to the laundry room. But tonight was tough, and Dominic needs his work clothes by 5 am tomorrow. I couldn't leave it until daylight. Oh, that was a tough trip. I kept thinking of horrible scenarios about me or my family until I was back inside my apartment with the doors locked. Those shows just aren't worth that kind of agony.

Movie review: The Pursuit of Happyness. I first became aware of this story when I read two essays, one by Chris Gardner and the other by Will Smith. I was impressed with how Gardner overcame the odds and found success. I was also interested to learn that Smith's son portrayed Gardner's son in the movie. But even knowing the end, it was a difficult movie to get through. His life went from bad to worse to unbelievable. The two main things going for him were his optimism and determination. This is the epitome of the "American dream," and I hope I never have to go through anything like it in my life.

Cute Benjamin story: On a humorous note, Benjamin is a climber. The other day we visited a car museum. I chatted politely with the tour guide as we entered. In my periphery I saw the kids vanish. When I looked behind me, Sammy was crawling on the floor (he's 4! when do they grow out of this?) and Benjamin was nowhere. I immediately began walking down the aisle and calling his name, when I heard a cheerful, "Here, Mommy!" He was happily perched in a 1911 Knox (for a picture: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knox_Automobile) The donor had spent 20 years restoring it. He was so cute and happy I wanted to take a picture. But to be a good parent, I sternly made him get down.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ditto! i cannot watch scary movies. and i am still afraid of the dark, but only when dave is out of town. luckily that has only happened a couple of times in our marriage.