Tuesday, January 12, 2010

New Home

We're done. It's finished. We are completely moved out of our old house, and finished the cleaning. Though if you ask me, the rental agency was a bit anal with the white glove inspection. (Who takes down the bathroom fan covers and dusts them with a q-tip?) They did let me go back and clean more thoroughly, so hopefully we'll get most of our deposit back.

Our new place feels so big. We went from about 900 sq ft to about 1600 sq ft. I didn't think I would like 2 stories, but it really helps with the noise - one can always find a quiet place to relax. Plus, I get a lot of exercise going up and down the stairs all day.

Another thing I like is the laundry room inside the house. I find myself more willing to do the laundry when I don't have to put on shoes and brave the cold garage just to switch the clothes. (Have I mentioned that I'm a weather wimp?)

Right now I feel like we'll never fully move in. Then I remember that we moved during the holidays (we didn't lose any presents in the transition :) and spent a bit of time cleaning the old place. I'm just now catching my breath and finding a daily routine again. As we gradually unpack the boxes stuffed in the garage, I vow to actually hang up our pictures on the walls. Confession: our last place only had clocks and a calendar up.

Our new landlords are great. We hope to eventually buy the house from them, and they are encouraging us to make improvements. For instance, we put in a cat door, and they were excited for us. How cool is that? At our last place, they said we needed to call an approved contractor to fix a poorly repaired hole in the wall; Dominic just fixed it himself and did a better job.

Three cheers to a new year and a new house!

*Yes, I will post pictures as soon as I take them.

3 comments:

Judy and Lloyd Abbott said...

Your great attitude is very contagious and reminds me why you did so well at Way Station. Great job? Dad

Daniel -n- Teri said...

Good for you MaryRuth! You've tackled another move...not an easy chore, especially with 4 little ones :) We've moved 12 times in our 10 years so I feel your pain in thinking the boxes will never get unpacked. They will...enjoy your new place!

Jen said...

I know that feeling of "will we ever be really settled in?" Finding a daily routine is a big first step. And there are many stages of settling, from emptying the boxes (think "The Incredibles") to putting up pictures, to finding curtains (that's the part I'm at). But gradually it does all happen (unless you're Holly Golightly in "Breakfast at Tiffany's," which of course you're not).