Sunday, September 21, 2008

Toby Keith concert

A little background: Dominic has been to several concerts that he still talks about. I've only been to free concerts in the park and orchestras. Last May I asked him to take me to a real concert. Toby Keith was the only one I'd heard of who was coming to the area, and some of his songs are funny. Dominic found half-price tickets online (I love that man).

Last night: We went to the last night of Toby Keith's Biggest & Baddest Tour. It had been raining all day, and the concert was in an outdoor ampitheater. Fortunately the weather calmed down. Montgomery Gentry started off, and although they're popular, I'm not a big fan. Plus, one of them acted slightly intoxicated - less than impressive. Around 9 pm Toby Keith finally came onstage. Obviously the headliner, he had pyrotechnics and a large screen behind him for close-ups and audience shots.

He was a great entertainer. He joked with the audience, tailoring his jokes for Utah, and adding lines about Salt Lake City to his songs. He has a very strong voice. He is also good with slow songs, which I never noticed before. I liked that he showcased his band, even letting a back-up singer solo a song; she was very good. He sang 3 encores, ending with a couple of patriotic songs. Unfortunately he cussed a lot, and I didn't realize how many songs are about alcohol. As a matter of fact, I'm glad we made it out of the parking lot unscathed, considering all the alcohol consumed by the audience. I was once again reminded why I don't drink.

Overall I had a great time, it was a fun concert, and I'm glad I went (and came home safely). It ended at 11 pm. What with the traffic and the long drive, we got home about 1 am. I had no idea it would be that late! Dominic knew it, of course. The poor babysitter fell asleep on the couch. We paid her as much as both tickets cost. Ok, she's not so poor anymore.

3 comments:

Ellen said...

Not to be picky but didn't you go to Stadium of Fire before you guys got married? Also, I've noticed a LOT of country songs are about drinking. It seems to be a pretty common theme.

Boo said...

Yes, we did go to Stadium of Fire, but that's more like an event, and the main singer is only on stage for about a half hour.

From what I remember, it started with a speech on patriotism, then they swore in a dozen new citizens. Several singers and bands and a comedian performed, followed by the headliner. After that, Polynesian fire dancers danced to the Stadium of Fire theme music. It ended with a fireworks show.

So, I don't consider that a concert. But it was still a lot of fun; I highly recommend it.

Jen said...

In Bricktown, OKC, there's a dang big restaurant called Toby Keith's I Love This Restaurant. He owns it I guess. We almost ate there because they have bands play and we were looking for a place with live music, but the wait time was way too long. I really don't know anything about the guy except that he's a country singer and he has this restaurant.