Monday, March 10, 2008

Scriptural Influence

Children imitate everything they see. It's a well-known fact. So it's good we have scriptural videos (they're the ones Dominic and his brothers grew up with). This afternoon Benjamin came up the front steps saying, "Mommy Moses, I baby Moses and you're my Mommy Moses," and then he cooed like a baby. I really don't understand both his and Sammy's fascination with baby noises, but they like to coo.

Also from the videos, the boys have learned about Daniel and the lion's den. Now the space behind the couch, where they are not allowed to play, is the lion's den. There have been several recent incidences where I hear vicious growling and screaming, run to the living room, and find that one boy is a lion and the other is Daniel. Why can't one of them pretend to be the angel? There would be much less screaming and growling. Have I mentioned that Lisy is growling? She growls a lot, usually when watching her brothers play.

The boys also like to pretend to be Samuel the Lamanite. They'll stand on anything, be it a couch, chair, table, etc. Benjamin is constantly telling me to "Eepent or oo ill be eestoyed!" (Translation: "Repent or you will be destroyed!") They also try to see who can say 'repent' the loudest. Re-enacting Samuel the Lamanite's famous sermon all began back in December. I remember it well: it was midday, in a crowded doctor's office waiting room, Elisa sleeping in my arms, the boys playing quietly behind me. All of a sudden, I hear Sammy's voice, loud enough to carry across the room, calling out "Hey everyone! Hey everyone! Repent, repent!" I'm sure my face went bright red. Quickly as I could without dropping the baby, I turned around, gestured emphatically to get off the coffee table he was standing on, and shushed in a loud whisper. Confused, he protested, "but Mom, I'm Samuel the Lamanite. That's what he says." And thus commenced a discussion on appropriate times and places to pretend.

Who knows what they'll do next?

3 comments:

Llama said...

Aren't those comments completely adorable! My boys always did the same type of thing, much to mine and everyone else's amusement. I particularly enjoyed when Dominic would pretend to be a prophet!
Love, llama

Hilary said...

welcome back maryruth! i got out of the habit of checking you blog since you were out of the habit of blogging, so it was quite a pleasant surprise to find these today. by the way, do you realize we've never met your baby? how can this be?! i'm not even sure how you pronounce her nickname. we have to get together sometime!!!
by the way, dave has gotten our boys to like grapefruit, so we always have some in the house. who'd have thunk it?
love,
hilary
p.s. i saw a pediatric dietician for brennan like you suggested, and it was very helpful! we talk for over 90 minutes. she eats gluten-free herself, so she had all kinds of advice. brennan is doing great on the new diet.

Boo said...

Every time we plan a visit, something comes up. Maybe we should just go. But seriously, hopefully we'll see you this summer. The advantage of going to a dietitian is that they have practical advice. I'm glad to hear it worked out well for you.