Sunday, February 24, 2008

Cereal & Grapefruit


This morning Benjamin tried to pour his own cereal, but somehow it ended up all over the floor. In the 5 seconds it took me to turn around and put the cereal bag back on the counter, the boys dove mouth-first towards the floor and Elisa crawled at breakneck speed from the living room to "clean-up" the spill. How thoughtful of them. I said nothing to encourage this behavior, besides laughing and getting the camera.

Sammy thinks he likes grapefruit. While passing through the produce section earlier this week, he reached out and bagged 2 grapefruits. I do let him choose fruits and vegetables to encourage him trying new foods. He hasn't tried grapefruit since last summer, but he swore he loved it. Well, if he didn't, Dominic would eat it. Dominic doesn't go out of his way to buy grapefruit, but he does eat it. I find grapefruit revolting unless it's a soda.

So for a snack yesterday Sammy decided to eat grapefruit. Benjamin, who almost always follows his brother's lead, eagerly asked for it, too. I cut one in half, sweetened each half, then showed them how to eat it. Benjamin took one bite and spit it out. I asked, "What do you think? Do you like it?" He replied, "Ye... nooo." Fair enough. I turned to Sammy. "Do you like yours?" I asked. He actually said, "Yes. Daddy likes it, and I like it, too." It took him awhile, and he kept asking for more sugar, but he ate up his half.

Dominic was at work and I didn't want to waste Benjamin's grapefruit half. So I did the craziest thing and ate it. I poured the sugar on each segment. That kind of helped. The boys loved watching the funny faces I involuntarily made. Although I attempted to set a good example for them, it might have backfired. I still like the carbonated grapefruit best.

3 comments:

sonian said...

I'm amazed you ate the whole half! I know I never could have and would have tried to save it but really would have been just waiting for it to go bad.
-Ellen

Boo said...

Normally I would have done that, too. But there wasn't enough room in the fridge.

Llama said...

Of course the ONLY way to eat grapefruit is in pop! I'm glad that Dominic will eat it now, but he certainly wouldn't as a kid. i wonder when and how he developed a taste for it. By the way, it is excellent that you let Sammy pick out the fruits and vegetables to encourage him to eat them. Great idea! Love, Llama