Friday, January 16, 2009

Self Understanding

Sunset from my kitchen window

My normal routine includes a nap right after lunch, because I feel exhausted and a bit more irritable. I just never realized how vital that nap is, until I put away the Christmas decorations this week. (3 weeks sooner than last year!)

Just after snack time I pulled out the empty boxes. I put off lunch until the children started pestering each other and my voice grew louder. I made lunch. Everyone calmed down. I went straight back to packing, feeling an intense need to get it all out of my house right now. Lisy started clinging to my legs, and I realized I forgot to put her to bed.

Ok,
peacefully sleeping toddler should mean quicker packing. Well, not when I'm constantly yelling at the boys and putting them in time-outs. At one point Sammy tried to explain that I was wrong about something, but I knew I was right, and my yelling made him cry. When we both calmed down, I discovered he was in the right. I felt worse than awful.

By this time, most of the decorations were packed, including all the breakables. I finally put myself to bed. When I woke up, I was me again - happy, playful, loving.

That night, while ruminating about the day, I realized that I need a daily nap. Up until now I felt guilty every time I fell asleep, leaving the boys to themselves for 1 to 2 hours a day. But now that I see what happens when I don't sleep, the guilt is gone. They are old enough to work the tv and dvd player; they can get their own snacks; they can survive. Conversely, everyone suffers when I stay awake; everything irritates me and I am incapable of speaking at a normal volume. I just hope my children remember the real me, and not the hormonal pregnant monster I sometimes turn into - kind of like the Incredible Hulk.

4 comments:

Mrs Abbott said...

I know what you mean, MaryRuth! I even needed a nap every day up until the boys turned four! Somehow having twin boys and a toddler to take care of wore me out as much as pregnancy did! Now, I can survive with just a nap on Sunday- as long as I sleep well during the night!

Hilary said...

I don't usually nap, but I take naps almost every day when I'm pregnant. Spencer was allowed to start getting his own snacks when I was pregnant with Dallin, so he was 4, and he LOVED it and encouraged me to go to sleep so he could enjoy having that time to himself.

Jessica said...

In my book I say "take naps for as LONG as you can" There is nothing wrong with it. You need to feel your own normal!! Think about all of the lost sleep you have missed out on since having kids...you may never catch up, but taking daily naps is a start!!

Boo said...

Thank you! I was feeling guilty and weak for sleeping so much. So thank you all for the encouragement and for letting me know this is completely normal.