Wednesday, June 24, 2009

First Month with Baby, part 1

Wow, I forgot how time-consuming a newborn is. Yes, a lot has happened, but I also haven't had time to tell you about it.

First, our visitors. Devin and Maran visited that first weekend. They even came to see me in the hospital. Sunday afternoon we all went to a park for a BBQ. I wore my bathrobe; there was no way I was going to get dressed after only 4 days. On Monday (Memorial Day) I did get dressed to see "Terminator: Salvation" (good movie, a bit loud). Little Courtney is getting very cute, cooing and smiling now.

Dominic's mom came for ten days. It was wonderful having her here. She took care of the older children while I was in the hospital and at home recovering. She kept the house clean (thank you!). She and Dominic went to yard sales, helping us buy much needed furniture - a couch and more kitchen chairs. She even got to be here for Elisa's 2nd birthday, a very low-key event.

Daddy helping Lisy blow out her candles.

One of her presents, a jump rope - she jumped all over the yard.













Who could ask for a better present than a baby sister?













Memorable conversations:
"She's beautiful." -Nurse
"You're just saying that, aren't you?" -Me
"No, and I see a lot of babies. They're all cute, because they're babies. But occasionally I see one with a beautifully shaped face. Like her." -Nurse

"Benjamin, you don't need to kiss my belly anymore. The baby is out here, now." -Me
"I know the baby is out of your belly, but you still look pregnant." -Benjamin, less than a week after Rachel was born

What the fortune cookie said: "Your business deals will work out well"
How Benjamin read it: "You will fall in a trap and die"
Dominic's comment: "Is it a misfortune cookie?"

"I need to do my homework now." -Samuel, excited to work on the packet he received from kindergarten sign-up

"My turn!" -Elisa declaring her turn to hold the baby

I asked the kids to look at me and smile. Instead, I got this:

3 comments:

Carol said...

Hey I didn't say congratulations before so I will now:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

She IS a beautiful baby and those pics of her and Elisa together are so sweet--they are going to be such sweet sisters! (And I think you have the perfect family organization too...2 boys together and 2 girls together!) Love the conversations too. : )

Congrats again!

Ann-Marie said...

Hey Mary Ruth,

Your new baby is so cute! Congrats!

Little kids say the funniest things. I should write down the funny stuff that comes out of Benny's mouth.

Hope you are getting some rest!

:) Ann-Marie

Jen said...

Those sister pictures are DARling. Also the last with caption ("instead this is what I got") is classic.