Sunday, November 9, 2008

My Sunday evening

Even in the midst of all the packing, it's hard to break my Sunday routine. After the children are in bed and before Dominic comes home, it is me time. I do various things that have absolutely nothing to do with my regular responsibilities. Tonight I had great ambitions of sorting through old papers, clothes and random junk to either pack or throw out. Did I do any of it? Nope. This me-time routine is too ingrained. I rationalize it by saying I need the time to emotionally and mentally prepare for the coming week.

That being said, life is crazy! The children are bouncing off the walls, crying and screaming, wrestling more, climbing in and destroying boxes, and occasionally trying to "help" pack. Hmm.

For help I asked my sister Emily to come over with her kids, so the cousins could entertain each other. She and Troy came up with a better plan: Troy took my kids home to play with the cousins, and Em helped me pack all day without rambunctious noisemakers underfoot. It was wonderful! We packed up most of the kitchen, living room and framed pictures. My kids came home happy and exhausted. Emily and Troy are saints!

We need to be in Idaho in one week, and now it looks possible. At church today people offered to watch my kids, have us over for dinner, or physically load the trailer.

Today was also Dominic's last day at work. They held a pizza party for him. He gave them each a hand-written letter, and they each said something they remembered about him. Apparently there was lots of crying. And these are teenage boys. I think Dominic has been a positive influence on them and a great staff member - his boss cried on and off all shift.

After only 2 years, this has definitely become our home.

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'd say "me time" and other comforting ingrained routines become even more essential at a crazy time like this. I'm so glad it's coming together and looking possible. Good luck--we can't help pack, but we're praying for you.