Thursday, July 17, 2008

First ER visit

It's finally happened. After 4 1/2 years and 3 children, we took our little girl to the emergency room this morning. Lisy likes to poke her fingers between the door and the door jam, and today Sammy closed the door without realizing her fingers were there. The 2 little fingers on her right hand were smashed to the point of transparency.

We hadn't eaten breakfast and nobody was dressed yet. Dominic and I dressed very quickly. He put all the kids in the car while I grabbed my phone and the diaper bag with insurance information. We made it to the hospital in record time.

The triage nurse was nice and calm, which helped us calm down, too. By now the mashed fingers were round again, but they still looked very sore. They took x-rays of her hand and found no broken bones. We then got to re-wrap her hand whenever she pulled off the bandage.

The excitement and adrenaline rush of the morning really wiped out both Dominic and me for the rest of the day. As for Elisa, as long as we gave her the baby Tylenol on schedule, then she was good.

5 comments:

Hilary said...

That's pretty amazing that you've never been to the E.R. Poor Elisa! hilary

Anonymous said...

interesting that it is not the crazy little boys who end up in the e.r., but the poor delicate little girl who lives with them.

Anonymous said...

No offense, MaryRuth, but I don't think you can call Elisa poor or delicate, or any girl that lives with brothers for that matter. I would call them strong and capable of holding their own. Sure, Elisa got the short end of the stick this time, but she can keep up with those boys. Glad she's feeling better.

Jessica said...

Hi MaryRuth! I found your blog...who'd athought! That sounds like it really hurt!! Glad she's okay and everything went smoothly at the hospital! By the way..your kids are sooo cute!

Boo said...

You are absolutely right, Missa. Elisa is not delicate and dainty. I'm secretly proud of her when she pushes down one of her brothers.

Hi Jessica! I'm amazed you found my blog. I thought only family members read it. I like your blog, too. Your dad hasn't changed a bit.